Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Chronicles of Riddex

Or how to save yourself 29.95 plus 17.95 shipping and handling.

Recently I was checking my personal email and the first step I usually do is to select what can easily be deleted and then delete it. I was about to send this one email gem permanently into the ether net when I changed my mind to explore it further. It was a promotional email from Riddex, an electronic plug-in device sold on TV to help me eliminate any and all roaches, mice or rats from my home.

I was naturally hooked. Maybe I could put myself out of business, selling these simple devices instead? I hoped what I found out would help my readers to save time and money and in the end get the results they need for their pest problem. But what I found may shock you, no pun intended.

The first thing that struck me about the website sales video was their claim that this simple electric plug-in device was not only much simpler to use but it was more effective and way better than having some stranger exterminator come into your home. Two of these plug in devices could put a protective barrier around the average size home. Some video special effects proved it to me with a pulsating grid around a cartoon house. I read their glowing but very short testimonials and
I was about to rip open my velcro wallet when I decide to just do a little google surfing on the subject.

I did some various search words from just "Riddex" to "does Riddex work"? The first result got me about 52,000 results, many on the first page were selling the product. However, the first organic link I clicked on had 9 complaints out of 15..... hmmm. So I dug some more...."does Riddex work?"
got me 207,000 results with the first page showing some very pissed off and angry consumers warning others not to waste their money. Velcro makes no sound when you close your wallet. It was somewhere on this Google search that I found out the shipping on a plastic device that weighs only a few ounces was 17.95. Yikes. Some people said they like the blinking lights on the thing. My dad referred to those type of things as idiot boxes.... they do nothing but look good doing it.

Some other consumers said they probably had the only deaf roaches and mice on the planet and that the only way to kill the vermin was to throw the device at them. There were complaints about noise and that the plug in did in fact interfere with their computer especially when using Skype. It hummed.
A university in South Carolina and a pet store in Hawaii both did the same experiment with the device and either or roaches or mice crawled comfortable around the thing in an enclosed environment.

Now as far as letting a stranger into your home to get rid of your roaches, mice or rats goes, I will tell you that our polite, professional, licensed and experienced pest pros are the best in New York City that you can find. You can feel safe, we will protect you and we are not a blinking light gimmick. And we are green-safe exterminators. Go to our website's Green page to find out more.

Since I quoted my dad earlier, let me give my mom some equal time too. She always said a lazy man works twice as hard.... in this case here with the Riddex device, a cheap man will pay twice as much on quick fixes that don't work.

Until the next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment